Friday, August 3, 2012

Went to the Olympics...No big deal

 So today, I have done the hardest hike of this entire trip. We climbed to Arthur's seat which is entirely uphill. It is one of the 7 hills around Edinburgh and it was a super cool view but my body was not happy. I figured that each hike we had done before would prepare me...I was wrong. I started in the first 5 people climbing the hill and ended in the last 5 but I made it! The view was spectacular. I loved it and I recited part III of the "Lady of Shallot" which was super cool. Then we headed back down to the coach so we could head out to Glasgow and the Olympics!

The view from Arthur's seat. Me and Lauren :)
So we showed up a little late. Traffic was horrendous because of the Edinburgh Festival but we only missed like 10 minutes of the game. It was so much fun! Most of the audience were actually younger kids. We cheered for Sweden and the entire audience sent the wave around the stadium like 5 times. It was really exciting and I am so glad that I actually got to see an Olympic event in the flesh! Thank you Michael for finding the tickets! It was a marvelous opportunity that I will never forget. Even though Sweden lost. It is ok because it was a really good game. After the game ended we got close to the field to take some pictures. Then we headed back to Edinburgh for the festival.

Right outside the stadium where an OLYMPIC soccer match was going on

France = blue, Sweden = Yellow

Me and the whole Christianson clan!
 Back in Edinburgh we headed to St. Giles church. It is very pretty but we were itching to go out to find a show during the festival for the evening. Plus, I was starving because I had not eaten anything substantial since breakfast. So Taylor, Chelsea, Michael, Matthew and I headed out to look for some food. We ended up in a cute cafe where I got some yummy lentil soup. Then we headed to go see Knee Deep which is an Australian circus act. It was sooo good! The acrobats had a 12x12 stage to work from and it was 3 boys and 1 girl. The girl was a beast! They used every part of their body to balance. They used the back of their knees to launch each other into flips over their heads or to get them up on their shoulders. The girl started the show by walking on 6 eggs in their carton without breaking them. They balanced 3 people on their shoulders without a net or cushion below them. They even balanced three people with the top person perched on the head of the other person. Yes, I said head. Then they even had silks, trapeze and the bars contortionists use. It was so cool. I loved it! It was a great way to spend the night!
St. Giles

No comments:

Post a Comment