Tuesday, June 26, 2012

First Day of Class



So summer school has officially begun...but its in London! So I really can't complain. Its strange because I still feel like I'm on vacation but I am really not in my "good student mode" yet but I did ace the pretest so I am ok. We will have class on Monday and Thursday. The classes are only an hour and a half. Half of us were working really hard at staying awake. I just stayed up too late, everyone else is still legitimately jet lagged. The classes are going to be really interesting when I actually get into student mode.

After classes my friend Kristina and I went on an adventure. At first we were trying to find Waterstone which is a bookstore so we could get the books we need for class. We totally went the wrong way. We ended up circling back and finding a second-hand book store which had the book we needed. Then we found Waterstone. It worked great. Then we decided to wander through Hyde Park. We found the statue of Peter Pan. Then we just kept walking around and almost got a bit lost. The park has tons of maps but they didn't have the "You are here" sticker but we figured it out. It was really awesome, we talked about Dr. Who, Once Upon a Time, Disney, Anastasia and just awesome stuff. Then we headed back for dinner.
Kristina, Peter Pan and I
Bear fountain in Hyde Park
Our dinner was delicious. We had a curry chicken with rice, cauliflower with paprika, and a raspberry salad with raspberry vinegrette. It was delicious! Oh, and fresh baguettes. I was so full! Oh, before dinner I was asked to give a brief devotional on music and help prepare everyone for the concert at St. Paul's Cathedral.
St. Pauls Cathedral

Don't Blink
The concert was amazing. The London Symphony Orchestra performed Berlioz's Requiem (Grand Messe des morts). This song was meant to be heard in a Cathedral. The sound just filled the massive beautiful church. They played the entire mass so it was just 90 minutes of latin and beautiful music. I loved it! I was one of the few that stayed awake the whole time! I was just so intrigued. I was really glad that I brought binoculars too. I used them to see the ceiling of the church and the orchestra. I cannot accurately describe to you the beauty and acoustics of this building but it was fantastic. Today, I am heading out to Herods, Princess Diana Memorial Park and Henry V. Cheerio!  (More pictures coming soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment