Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Free time and our first trip together

So, being on this Study Abroad it is a lot harder to find time to blog. We are out even later than I was with my parents and always doing something. Which is totally fun but just a constant state of exhaustion. I am enjoying myself :).

So Tuesday we did not have anything planned until the afternoon so we were allowed to do what ever we wanted. My group, Suzette, Lauren, Christina, Me,
Chelsea. We are awesome people and had a bunch of fun together. So our first stop was the Princess Diana Memorial Park, or as me and my sister call it: The Peter Pan Park. This park is designed to be a safe place for children so you are not allowed to enter without children. Except for thirty minutes in the morning before the children arrived. So, 5 adults went to the park to act like children. We had so much fun! I chose the picture of the pirate ship because it is what I remembered the most when I played here in November 2001.

Peter Pan ship in Princess Diana Memorial Park
This park had multiple wonderful sections. The toddler section has a tiny area with little houses and tractors to play in and around. We then went to the pirate ship where I climbed the crowsnest and walked the ship. From the top I glanced down and saw the treasure chest guarded by the crocodile. Another area had the wooden park that I totally remembered from before as well. The coolest part was on the bridge it was normal except that above the bridge had logs attached together with chains that was really fun to walk on.

There was also some garden sections. We found a throne that said Once Upon a Time and a musical instrument made out of a stone. There was also a vibraphone type instrument and wooden chimes. It is a fantastic park that is so much fun. As soon as we left the park I realized that I left my jacket. When I went back and got it I was waiting for the man to open the gate. He told me “You cannot go out” I responded with an “ah, man” he replied “I do not want you to leave. You must live here”. I laughed and said “Ok, I can do that”. He smiled and let me out.

After acting like 5 year olds we went to Harrods. To act like sophisticated 5 year olds in an expensive store. You can buy diamond crusted plates at this store. It was a store of luxury and money. So we wandered and basked in our poorness. So we stopped at the Godiva Chocolate Café. We ordered fondu and split it between the 5 of us for lunch. It was delicious! We dipped bananas, strawberries, nougat (a candy) and Madeline (a bread coated in sugar) in milk and dark chocolate. Best lunch ever. Well, not really but it was soooo delicious.
Bear at Harrods

After Harrods we went back to the center for a lecture on Henry V. We had dinner and then headed out to the Globe Theater to see Henry V. Getting to the Globe was a bit dramatic. We did not leave as a group. We were told just to get there when we wanted to. So I waited for Kristina and my other friends on dish crew. We left at 7 pm. We ran to Queensway station which is run only by an elevator or you walk down 123 stairs. We didn’t take the stairs. So we missed the first train. Got on the next train and boy it was a crowded tube. It felt like we were in Tokyo. Then we got out of the tube and found another group of students running to the Globe.

I was toward the back of the group and quickly walking with Chelsea and Kristina. Chelsea has a broken ankle and I refused to leave her and run to get in first. We got to cross the Millennium Bridge (destroyed in Harry Potter 6) and we found the Globe. We were late so we missed the first 5 minutes before they would let us in. Watching a show in the Globe Theater is unreal. You stand, the whole time. It was easier than I thought it would be but it was still difficult. There is an intermission and we all sat the whole intermission. It was a fabulous experience.

The Globe Theater
Wednesday we went on our first field trip. We took a coach bus to Dover Castle. It was a really foggy day and I really enjoyed the fact that it was foggy. The castle appeared out of the mist and seemed to transport us back in time. We wandered the castle for about an hour before we jumped centuries and entered WWII. In the sides of the cliffs of Dover is secret tunnels. These tunnels were so cool!

Dover Castle...through the mist
The first tunnel we entered was the Hospital Tunnel. It was interesting to travel through and hear what it was like to treat soldiers from the war. The purpose of the tunnel was to stabilize the patient before sending them into the town to recover above ground. These tunnels were 15 meters below ground and pretty much incredibly safe. The only way it could have been attacked was if a gas attack hit the ventilation or if the German’s had invaded England and entered the tunnel themselves. Since Hitler didn’t like to use gas attacks because he had lived through one, they were safe. They were too deep to be bombed out.

We also went through a second tunnel that described the rescue of troops from France. It was so fascinating to me to hear about WWII from the point of the British. They did so much and were so brave. It was wonderful to experience. We then went to the Cliffs of Dover. We only got to spend about a half hour there but they are gorgeous. I could have used another half hour but we had to get to Canterbury.

Cliffs of Dover
Canterbury was a fun experience. Kristina and I were a bit behind the group heading to the Cathedral and we were stopped by a British guy in his 20’s who just looked at us and asked “Do I sound posh?”. We told him that we thought he did and we had a brief discussion where he told me he wished he had my accent. He also told us he was drunk and so we definitely chuckled to ourselves as we walked away.

The Canterbury Cathedral is gorgeous! You need to go and get a tour. Ah, it was so interesting. The Cathedral has all sorts of different architecture and the shrine to Thomas Beckett. It was so interesting but this post is long. After the Cathedral we walked around the town before returning to London. Back in London I did homework for the rest of the night. Until next time!
Canterbury Cathedral.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment