Saturday, June 30, 2012

Saturday!

 So today was an exciting day filled with adventure! We began our day with our London walk course. Today's walk started at London Bridge and focused on South of the Thames. I still love the fact that the most interesting part of the bridge is the sign in this picture. Apparently there is a London bridge in Arizona. Who knew?

After crossing the London Bridge we went to the Borough Market. This place is fantastic! Fresh food and produce everywhere! I sampled a Turkish delight, like Edmond's favorite treat, it was pistachio flavored. I liked it a lot. I also tried a fruit that I can't remember the name of but it was orange and looked like a tomato. It was really sweet but the texture was closer to say a peach than a tomato. Its native of Spain and Italy but the one I ate was from Spain. I also just sampled anything I could get my hands on. I bought 5 peaches for 1.50 pound. They were delicious peaches and Kristina and I shared this yummy grilled cheese. There was also amazing hot chocolate. I plan on going back here! 
Kristina and I eating our grilled cheese

Awesomeness!
 After the Market we continued our walk and went to the Tate Modern museum. We went through an exciting exhibit of different types of art with different themes. The best part was the surrealism. There was a video of different microbes and used 20th century music. We had a short assignment based on it and I wrote all about the music. It was really cool. Its also really nice that all of the museums are free. Oh, we also found a random boat, called the Golden Hinde, dry docked. Apparently a really famous Galleon ship. I just like ships that use sails.
Golden Hinde Ship
Today was also a special adventure. After the museum we walked across the Millennium Bridge and went to St. Paul's Cathedral to play on one of the 50 pianos set up around London due to the Diamond Jubilee. At first everything was normal, we all played what ever it is that we knew how to play and just enjoyed sitting in the shade listening to music. At one point a British man came up and asked me if I wanted to play this carnival song that I know how to play. Its a duet that I know, he must have heard me playing the baseline. That was really fun, he knew a much more complex right hand than I know. It was really cool. Then things got weird.

While I was still sitting at the piano an old Irish man on a bike road up and said something to me that I could not understand. Eventually we figured out that he was asking us what brand the piano was. This then launched into an hour conversation with this man. He was really sweet to us, occasionally a bit too sweet. He gave me a sideways hug (he smelled bad), kissed Ashley's hand, and held Nicala's face between his hands. I'm pretty sure he meant well. He told us about his wife who had a B&B for 5 pounds a night per person. He also just talked about everything he knew about the places we were from. He asked our last names and then asked if we were related to famous people with our last names. I think he was just happy that we were interacting with him. I am pretty sure he's not all there but he can play Dixie on a harmonica! It was an interesting experience.

I also ate falafel for the first time and it is delicious! We have this fabulous Mediterranean place called Tazas and it only cost 3 pounds. Its awesome! I also heard Paul's adorable engagement/life story about how he and his fiance met and I had a fantastic conversation with Scotty. This means that I have learned a lot about: Taylor, Michael, Scotty, Paul, Matthew, Jace and Rob. This just leaves Alex (who I think likes to come across as mysterious). So in the first week, I have met all the guys! Now...to meet all of the 30 girls. The people here are wonderful. We all get along and are really excited to be here. Well until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment