Saturday, June 30, 2012

Playing Catch Up

So, I thought time flew in Ireland. It flies even faster here! We are always doing something (which is awesome) such as wandering around, going to a show, or just getting to know each other. Sounds like fun right? Well, it is not conducive for blogging. By the time all of that stuff is finished its midnight and I go to bed. So why am I telling you this? I am just letting you know that while I am trying, blogging every day like I did in Ireland just does not seem to be happening.

Any who, I am now transporting us back in time to Thursday. Now, Thursday was not the most exciting day I have had thus far. We woke up for breakfast at 8 and then we had class from 9-12. I took an hour nap and then we had a lecture on Modern Theater from 1-2:30. The lecture by Tim Slover was fantastic. He told me things about One Man, Two Guvnors (which I get to see again!) that I totally did not catch the first time around because...I am not British. Now I will get more of the jokes and feel like a proper Brit. So the day is half over at this point. So Kristina and I decide to go to Leichester (Lester) Square to see if we can get tickets to a show. However, before that, I needed lunch because its not served in the center and as I said before I took a nap when most people got lunch. So we went to Noodle Oodle, which makes their own fresh noodles exactly like I saw on Food Network, and I got some Chinese food and we headed to the tube.

One the tube I am sitting and eating my food and Kristina and I are not sitting by each other. You know how sometimes when you are eating food goes flying and you are not sure how? Well, 1 grain of rice that hadn't touched my  mouth somehow got on the ladies leggings next to me. I think I offended her. She appeared to be British. She did not look at anyone specifically on the train nor did she speak to anyone. So you wiped the grain off her legging but then she kept wiping it like I had spilled my whole meal on her. At the first opportunity she slid down one chair and avoided me like the plague. The good news is the food was delicious.

After we got off the tube I totally thought I could get us to Leichester Square with no problems because my parents and I had been there... I was wrong. I checked the map like 3 times because I kept getting us in the wrong direction. I think its partly because I went to Leichester Square from a different direction plus, I obviously did not pay close enough attention to how we walked there. So we finally found it but nothing was really that good of a deal. So we wandered through China town and Kristina and I were headed to the Forbidden Planet when Kristina realized she needed to get back to the center because she was on dish duty. So we headed back without going into the store.

After dinner, we began reading reading Twelfth Night aloud because we had to finish the play by Monday and we figured it would be more fun that way. It totally was. After Act II we went to Whitehall and ate some Gelato. I am on the fence if I think it is "real" Italian Gelato but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Then we finished the play around 11:30 and headed to bed.

Friday was a fantastic day! Our first stop was the Tower of London. This place is still one of my favorite places. I was kinda super impatient so I kinda abandon most of the group because I didn't really care about getting my picture with the Tower Bridge as much as I wanted to get into the Tower. So a small group of us got into the Tower before most of the group. My first stop was the Crown Jewels. Partly because they are fantastic and sparkly. Mostly because the first Beefeater tour didn't start for 20 minutes.

The Tower of London!
So the tour with the Beefeater was just as good as I remembered it. However, where I remember the Beefeater from 10 years ago telling us all of the old parts of the Tower that "still worked". This one did not. It actually felt like a whole new tour in a new location. It was a lot of fun. I then met up with some people (I left my first group in the Crown Jewels to make the tour) and I tagged along with them. I actually spent the next hour with Rob going through the Torture Center, White Tower. Then they were lagging to much in the gift shop so I went off to Beauchamp's tower by myself. After that, I made sure that I had done everything I wanted too (we had to be done by 12:15 and we got there at 9:20ish) and went into the gift shop to buy a new London charm.

After the group recollected itself at this awesome sundial that told the history of England we went on a walk around London. In this walk we went to a church that during the blitz had a bomb fall through the ceiling. This bomb missed the Organ by inches and then failed to detonate. I spent most of this walk getting to know Taylor, who is really awesome and married.


Plaque commemoration the place where the bomb landed.
Big Ben from the London Eye


Blue Police Boxes do exist!
That even Kristina and I went to the London Eye. Against the judgement of my father :P. We had a wonderful time. After you buy your ticket there is a 4-D movie that kinda goes through different sites of London from an aerial view and just prepares you for what you will see. There were also two wac figures from Madame Tussauds so Kristina got a picture with David Beckham. We rode the eye pretty much at sunset. It takes half an hour to circle the Eye and the first half was the daylight effect. The sun was kinda setting but the lighting was still day. The second half the buildings and the Eye were beginning to turn their lights on and it was just really pretty. After, we wandered a little bit and I found a Dalek and an original Police Phone box. Its blue, but not Tardis blue, and it was only big enough to have a phone but not to hold a person. But still, I found a blue police box!

No comments:

Post a Comment