Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ring of Dingle

Another gorgeous day in Ireland. Cold, wet, and windy were the main features! I wouldn't mind if it only combined two out of the three weather conditions but all three is just awful. For me anyway. The weather however, did not make this country any less beautiful! Today was a mostly scenic drive day. We spent most of the day in the car. After leaving our extremely charming B&B in Kenmare (with a British Host who was very nice) we traveled to Dingle. There we got out of our car to explore the shops. We moved quickly to the nearest store because of the weather. The first store we entered was the Dingle Crystal shop. Oh, how I wished I had won the lottery! The man who started this particular crystal company was originally trained at Waterford from the age of 15. I did not purchase anything but my mother bought a gorgeous cake plate which you should all see sometime. :) We also went into a real music shop where I played a neoceltic harp. I have realized on this trip that I need to memorize and keep up with a few really simple pieces that can be played on any size harp. As of right now, all the pieces in my head need to be played on a pedal harp! I did buy a book of music to explore once I get home :).

After shopping we began the drive around the Dingle Peninsula. It was beautiful even through our rain soaked windows. We did not get out of the car as often as we would have if it had been sunny. Our first stop was the Inch Beach. This beach was gorgeous and would have been pleasant to stand and walk on if we could have subtracted either the rain, wind or cold. However, with all three present we stayed out of the car long enough to get some good pictures and then quickly made our way back to the car! The next time we exited the car was to go and visit the Clochans (Beehive Huts). These buildings where made entirely out of stone but as you can see in the picture look like a beehive! They actually provided a nice block from the aforementioned weather conditions but did not allow for a ton of light. We also stopped briefly at a cultural center where we watched a brief documentary and then had a bowl of soup.

Beach of Inch

Beehive Hut

Bay in Dingle

Sleeping Giant Island

All pictures past this are just countryside pictures :)





I am so excited for tomorrow though! We are going to the cliffs of Moher and having a medieval dinner! If you have ever talked to me about medieval times then you will know this is my cup of tea! I also think that I should admit to you all now that I did not make it to the Blarney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone. This is because after the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle unfortunately we did not have the time. So obviously, I need to start planning my return trip to Ireland! Well that is really all I have to report but enjoy the wonderful pictures of this beautiful countryside!  

No comments:

Post a Comment