Sunday, July 1, 2012

Today is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today has been a fantastic day. My first fast Sunday on the study abroad. Which was also probably the hardest fast Sunday I have ever had. I have become so accustomed to the fabulous break the fast immediately after church or just going home and cooking delicious food with my mother. So what made today so fantastic? Well, I managed to fast till 5 o'clock after being awake at 8 am which is probably the longest I have ever fasted.

Our ward is super sweet. We have a lot of members from Ghana and the women come dressed in their nations clothing. They look so gorgeous! I love the colors and just everything about them. For the first time I have backwards church, so we start with Relief Society and end with Sacrament meeting. Its still really strange for me, especially since Sacrament has to end on time. During Sacrament after the presiding bishopric member gave his testimony he informed us that the BYU students were going to come up and bare our testimonies and introduce ourselves. That was news for me. My testimony was short and sweet and not as well thought out as it would be if I had been able to ponder for like 5 minutes. I also received my calling! I am going to be a youth Sunday school teacher. Not sure if I get the 12-14 or 15-18 years old yet...so we shall see.

Dinner as delicious today! Mostly because it was fast Sunday and I was starving but it was just yummy. We had something that looked like a quiche but I am not sure it was. It had a crust and was bigger than a tart but kinda the same thickness. It was filled with a goat cheese and cranberry mixture. I am sure there were other things in it but I have no idea what. We also had little bread balls with cheese and corn with artichoke and mushrooms. The artichoke and mushrooms took all of the sweetness from the corn so I did not enjoy that part. Dessert was a KitKat bar. It was scrumptious.

We also had this amazing fireside tonight. George Chittock came and spoke to us about what it was like living through the Blitz. Even though he was incredibly young he still remembered a ton of things that I did not know about. Such as: the children were evacuated multiple times. His siblings, him and his mom were evacuated for a month together (Dad's job was related to the war so he couldn't leave) before returning to London. Then he and his brother were evacuated again for 6 months in Wales. Their Dad visited them but Mom never came down. Also, I did not know that the German's had pilot-less planes that they would give just enough fuel to get over London before they crashed into the city. They were called V1 planes. Just all sorts of things that I never fully appreciated learning out of a textbook.

ALSO! For the Long weekend Ali and I are going to Disneyland Paris!!!!!!! We bought our Eurostar tickets today and our hotel and tickets to the park and I am so flipping excited! Its like Mary Poppins I love to laugh. I am so floating on the ceiling right now!!! Apparently there are characters there that are not present at any of the other parks such as Esmeralda, Quasimodo, and more! And the princesses are in different costumes and I am just going to have a blast!!!! Until tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment