Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Home of Henry VIII

Today is Tuesday. Sometimes I have to remind myself what day of the week it is. The only thing that I actually keep track of is what happens tomorrow. Today we had class again because this weekend is the long weekend. I actually did really well on the quiz in History today. I thought I was going to fail since I "read" (aka saw words on the page and occasionally made sense of them but my eyes mostly just traveled the pages) most of it at midnight last night after Spiderman. I was quite proud of myself.

After class we headed to Hampton Court which is one of the earliest Tudor homes. In this home I met Henry VIII, in person, he's alive. He was actually in the process of marrying his 6th wife hoping to get an heir. Look below, I have a picture. So Hampton Court is actually like a Palace. It is huge and rather complicated. What's really cool though is they allow you to wear a tradition robe...thing that is actually super cute. There is a picture of that too. So you feel incredibly in place as you wander the palace looking awesome. So, aside from King Henry VIII himself I saw his living quarters, where his wives lived. There were gardens and a gigantic kitchen! Their kitchen is big enough to feed 1000 people. Can you imagine doing those dishes?!? It would be awful. We also saw William III's apartments, Georgian Apartments and Mary II's apartments. Its a huge place.

See Henry VIII
Chelsea and I in our robe things...
They also had this really interesting section called Young Henry VIII's Story. It was fascinating because it was basically trying to convince you that Henry was a fantastic king before he divorced his first wife. They had a great partnership and companionship and if they had had a living son he would have always been a great king. It was kinda sad actually because it showed how the issue of succession ruined their marriage. There was also this interesting section of female paintings that showed how women used sexuality in the court. It was interesting. We met a woman who was "waiting to be painted" and she looked at us and told us the things we needed to make ourselves pretty enough to be painted. We need brown curly hair, the right dress, the just out of bed look and double chins. Apparently we are too skinny...SUCCESS! Lol. Seriously though for those paintings we were too skinny. It was a really cool place.
Henry VIII as a Russian Doll
There was a hedge maze but I didn't have enough time to go in. It made me a bit sad but it was worth taking the time to do what I did in the house. There was also this really funny set of Russian dolls. The biggest doll was Henry VIII and the next dolls went through his wives. On the bottom it had their names and what happened to them. It made me laugh. After Hampton Court we came back and ate dinner. My dish crew and I cleaned it up in a relatively short time cause we are awesome and I have been having a laid back evening. However, in 20 minutes I am going to start watching the Henry V movie....for homework. We are required to watch a movie at 10:30 at night. I am not impressed well anyway, until tomorrow! Love you guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment