Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Beauty of the Lake District

 Today has been a fantastic day! We started out our morning with a traditional English breakfast. I have to say that I am going to miss having baked beans for breakfast. However, I enjoy my eggs pre-seasoned. After breakfast we were still split into two groups. My group went back to Dove Cottage to do a seminar with actual Wordsworth manuscripts. So I actually handled the original manuscripts that are almost two hundred years old! We had a wonderful discussion about what you can tell from the handwriting. Some of the letters were impossible to figure out how you were supposed to read them. It was sectioned off into little sections going all directions. Then, to top it all off part of it over lapped! We then gave them ideas of how we would love to improve the Dove Cottage/Wordsworth experience. It was really awesome to realize that he really wanted to know our opinions. We even did a group project about how we would take an artifact and use it in the museum. It was really really fun.

Then we went back to town and had a two hour break to do what ever we pleased. Kristina and I wandered through a few shops. I am looking for a first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. I didn't find one but it was nice to just wander and enjoy a town while everything is open. Kristina and I got lunch at the Apple Cafe. I ordered a Chicken Tikka sandwich and Cadbury hot chocolate. It was so satisfying. We were joined by Ashley, Nicala and Kendall. We went to this really neat toy store where we got to play with some customers cute dogs. Then we rejoined our group in front of the church.

Kaitlyn, Kristina and Nicala at the beginning of our hike.
Then we started a three hour hike. It was absolutely gorgeous. The beginning was all up hill for about 15 minutes but then it became pretty easy. We had wonderful weather. It was over cast but not raining on us until the very end. I enjoyed talking to everyone and I worked on memorizing a poem I have to recite for Frank. It was great to commune with nature. On our hike we found a cave! We made so many references. I told Wade we could walk through Moria to get back to town. Jace whistled the theme for the Hunger Games. There were some others but I just cannot recall. Basically, it was an absolutely wonderful hike and I enjoyed every moment of it.
Erin, Kaitlyn, Janie, Sarah, Jace, Me, Ali and Chelsea still on the hike

Kaitlyn, Sarah and Jace: just enjoying the gorgeous countryside

Jace and Paul in the Cave of Wonders.
When we returned to the town we separated for dinner with the intention of meeting back up to go hike to a waterfall. Paul, Jace, Kristina, Nicala, Ashley, and I went to have dinner at the White Lion Pub. We were really happy to just sit and warm up since the rain had started about ten minutes before we went in doors. The food was pretty good. Then we went outside to wait for Wade and he just never came. So we went across the street and Paul kept an eye out for him. Jace and I purchased a Dr. Who magazine. I get to keep the magazine and trading cards and Jace kept the playing cards. So we waited about 30 minutes and then just went back to the hostel. Paul, Jace, Kristina, Nicala and I actually stopped in an open book store and looked around a bit. Then we just went back to the hostel and played card games. It was really nice to do something so normal with each other. Its actually the first time we have played cards this whole time. Then I blogged. Have a wonderful night. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment