Thursday, July 26, 2012

Unexpected

Happy Wednesday! I hope you did something fun. I learned a lot but as far as adventures in London’s go, it was a slow day. We started out with class. One of our professors handed back an assignment and is making all of us redo it. On top of a midterm paper, site assignments, planned activities, class times, reading assignments, London walks assignments and anything else that we have to do. Needless to say, after class there were some very heated remarks. Especially since the things he disliked in our papers were things that he had not even defined prior to our turning in the assignment. It was a bit frustrating. The other class is going very well and I enjoy every moment of it.

After class, I grabbed a quick lunch of left overs and then headed out to do a London walk. My walk began at the St. Paul’s Cathedral tube stop, walked down to Bank and continued on until the Monument. It was a decently long walk and helped me to relieve some steam while still being productive toward my school work. I actually did enjoy it. I stopped in this little church and learned about the architect who also designed St. Pauls. It was very beautiful with open space that was filled with light. It had a dome that raised the ceiling. This church was also the place where the Samaritan program (like a suicide hotline) began here in London. It was just a very nice stop. It was also just nice to take an hour and a half to myself.

Upon my return to the center I attended a lecture by Professor Black. This man is incredibly intelligent and knows a ton about history and politics. The lecture was incredible but I cannot even tell you what it was about. Most of it went over my head because I had no background knowledge to attach it to. All of the students who studied political science asked spectacular questions. I just sat in awe.

After the lecture I went to Wagamamma with Abbey, Kim, Kristina, Megan and Sarah. It was yummy. Not my favorite thing I have had in London but it was good. We enjoyed each other’s company and then had to go to the Hyde Park Chapel for another lecture by Professor Black. Once again I was blown away and enjoyed myself. Upon exiting the chapel I was faced with a situation I had never actually faced before. There was a protestor outside the chapel. He saw me and looked me in the eye and told me I was a part of a cult and that I was not a Christian. I turned around and walked back into the building. Without even thinking about it, I grabbed a pass-a-long card with Christ on it and the 13 articles of faith on the back. I walked up to the man, handed it to him. I stated “Thank you for your concern for my soul” and just left and walked  toward Kensington Gardens. I thought I handled the situation well, however, when I told some of my classmates what I had done they were disappointed. Apparently, I just should not have done anything, or given him any sort of attention at all. I am not sure if I made an intelligent decision about the situation but I leave the decision up to you.

I then spent the rest of my night doing homework until midnight. Except for the 5 minutes when I broke the rules by going out onto the fire escape. Karley and I walked to the very top of the building. I stopped at each of the girls floors and poked my head through their windows and whispered “Peek-a-boo”. I keep me in your mind as I have a ton of homework to get done today (Thursday). I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment